Back to previous

Claiming Compensation After A Serious Assault

Dear Brian

DepressedI was the victim of a very serious assault in my local park. I was out walking my dog when I was suddenly attacked by a group of youths. I was knocked to the ground and knocked unconscious momentarily. I fell very hard onto the right side of body.

At first, I had excruciating headaches and pain in my right shoulder and lower right back. After a few weeks, the pain from my head started to spread downwards into my neck, both shoulders and across my upper back. Before I knew what had happened, I started having pain all over my body. I could not get a good night’s sleep or concentrate. I found it difficult to work and I lost my job.

I have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My doctor has told me that it was caused by the assault.

Although the police were called by a local passer-by at the time, the youths were gone and I cannot recall what they look like. Is there anything I can do to receive compensation? Is there a scheme similar to the one for car accidents when there is a hit and run without being able to identify the driver? I am really struggling financially ever since I lost my job.



Dear Paul

There is a government scheme called the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) for situations such as your own. The scheme compensates individuals who are the innocent victims of a criminal act.

However, there is a time limit to bring a claim of two years from the date of the incident. Late claims are allowed at their discretion. Also, as the compensation is funded by the government, there are strict criteria that have to be met in order to qualify for compensation.

I would therefore suggest that you contact a solicitor with expertise in dealing with CICA claims involving FM as soon as possible, well in advance of the two year deadline, to ensure that your claim is protected if you qualify.


We do not endorse any research, studies or sources mentioned within our blogs and comments. Furthermore, we do not endorse any medical advice provided, and would strongly recommend anyone seeking medical advice to contact their local healthcare provider.

To start your claim

Get in touch

Request A Callback

To hear what our clients say about us

Visit our testimonials

Read more

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts